Koronisia Arta, an island in the Gulf of Amvrakikos
OR Koronisia the island is located in the center of the Amvrakikos Gulf, at lagoon Logarou. The island is connected to shore by a long and narrow passage, length 6,5 km. the Korakonisi It is the cluster of islands located in N.. the Koronisia, forming the Sakouletsi lagoon.
THE Amvrakikos Gulf, an enclosed internal sea communicating with the Ionian with a narrow channel at Aktion. The bay is the largest wetland in Greece. It named by Ancient Amvrakia, a city that was built on the river Arachthos, in place today Assam. The Amvrakikos National Park, founded in 21-3-2008, It belongs to the NATURA network 2000 and protected by treaty Ramsar (Amvrakikos Wetlands Management Agency, https://www.amvrakikos.eu).
THE Louros and Arachthos are the two big rivers that flow into the bay, form more than 20 lagoons.
The most famous lagoons :
- Rodia lagoon, NW. Amvrakikos Gulf. Is a marsh fed by fresh water from the Louros, which flows into the Amvrakikos. In the swamp of Rodia found one of the largest contiguous areas of reedbeds in Greece. In the mud of the swamp lazy water buffalo.
- lagoons Tsoukalio and Logarou, the two largest lagoons in the region, separated from the sea by louronisides, narrow land strips.
- lagoon TSOPELA, the Delta Arachthos, the lagoons Koftra and Paliompouka and the lagoon Agrilia, located in North. side of the bay.
- lagoons Katafourko, Myrtari, Saltini, Mazotos, deep and the Voulkaria lake, formed in A., N. and BE.
OUZOMEZEDES – LOCAL FLAVORS
- Amvrakikos Gulf recorded 33 Fish species, of which 15 caught. Catching fish is done by IBAP or pens, i.e. traditional weir placed in the lagoons (media bay depth 1,75 m.).
- The Amvrakikos is famous for its fresh fish and seafood.
The fish caught is : shrimp Amvrakikos, known as shrimp, internationally famous, sprat Amvrakikos, known as "sprat», eel, mullet, mullet, languages, bream, bass, goby, crops, sargus, horse mackerel, butts, Carps, squid, scampi, cuttlefish, mussels, oysters, clams, scallops etc..
- The local flavors They are : or fried shrimp skewer, grilled eel on tile or grilled, sardine or anchovy oven, with tomatoes and garlic, mullet or pedal (salted mullet fillet) barbeque, shellfish etc..
- The roe Amvrakikos It has little production but excellent taste. Comes from female fish mullet called Bafa. Eggs after the female fish salted, with coarse salt, and dryness in the shade, then waxed with beeswax. Buffy The eggs are from July – October, and fished for roe, when eggs are mature, from mid-August to early October. The fish is rich in Omega 3- Polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially vitamins E, and A, B, C, selenium, iron, calcium.
- All this you can taste in the restaurants Koronisia, «Myrtaria or tavern Patent", «one thing I know gar», «Avra Fish», «Kingfisher», «big big», ouzo, «Khere Cafis" etc..
The Koronisia beach is right next to the village, SW., and toward the bay Salaora (Beach Road Koronisia). approximately has a length 1 Km and protected from most winds, except D.. – ND. The coast is formed by broken shells and the sea is shallow, at the beginning, and gradually deepens. there is a small port near the beach for fishing vessels. in 500 m. The back of this beach there is a smaller, ideal for those who do windsurf and kitesurf. The road that connects the Salaora Koronisia creating some places to swim between the stones. The beach area Koronisia is included in the Natura network 2000, as Amvrakikos.
KORONISIA – SIGHTS
- Church of Our Lady Koronisia (1193) Located in the center of the village and is one of the oldest churches of Byzantine Arta. There Monastery, by 10The c., with its peak at the 15The -16The c., which housed many monks. It consists of the main temple, The narthex and the exonarthex. O main church belongs to the rare type of imiengegrammenon cross with a dome and is dedicated to Birth of the Virgin. Singles wooden temple (19th ), with relief floral and animal protection. From 1969 a monument Middle Byzantine period. In the courtyard there is the old well (18th) whereby the Abbey was being supplied, and ruins of the old cells.
- chapel Saint Onoufriou from Koronisia
The chapel is on the left side of the Church of Our Lady, where and Grave. It is a small domed basilica with beautiful frescoes inside.
Here monk Saint Onoufrios, so it is the protector of Koronisia. celebrated on 12 June, with festival.
- Koulia Koronisia (1860) small castle, old Turkish-outpost watchtower, built on the hill "cool" Koronisia. It got its name from the Turkish "of gold», meaning top. It is a circular building, well preserved, serving as Culture Center. It features a reading library (the summer months), and space for exhibitions, photography etc.. The building is a duo with Ottoman Fortress Loosen or "cool" the Laskar (1860), located in the "Tourkovounia" hilltop in Laskar Preveza.
- IN St. George Koronisia, the parish church of the island
- Fisherman's Feast. traditional festival, under the August moon, dance, song and ample grilled sardines Amvrakikos. Information Municipality of Arta, Cultural Association Koronisia & Cultural Association Worldwide Koronisioton.
KORONISIA – ACCOMMODATION
- Koronisia Apartments, tel. : 26810 27481, 6946 226246
- Spyrou Apartments, tel. : 2681 024042
- Asterias, rental rooms, tel. : 210 9017673, asterias-koronisia.gr
ALTERNATIVE ACTIVITIES IN THE KORONISIAS
- «Swim Crossing Amvrakikos"There is every year, -Principles end of July August, the municipality of Arta. The race is 11 km, Vonitsa starts and ends in Koronisia. Alongside the swimming race, are various events such as hiking, show kite surfing, beach volley etc..
- Koronisia sprint triathlon. In parallel with Crossing swimming Amvrakikos. Includes swimming for 750 m., then cycling on a flat track 20 km, and finally running on asphalt 5 km. Information : Arta Municipality and Center Sports and Recreation Tzoumerka T.A.C, Tzoumerka Activities Center, Agnanta area, tel. : 694 524 7715, http://tac.com.gr
- Cycling Race Lagoon Logarou. In October, Arta, starting in port Koronisia, distance 23 km
- Windsurf and kitesurf. In April – November, in Koronisia. Information : Yacht Club Koronisia
- Birdwatching Amvrakikos Gulf. In recent years in the Amvrakikos area recorded 254 bird species, of which 78 species occur throughout the year. From birds of the area 126 species listed as endangered, and protected in the EU, while 6 than those recorded under threat worldwide.
THE Dalmatian, It is the bird symbol of Amvrakikos, found here all year, mainly in lagoons Tsoukalio and Logarou. The bay shelter herons (Egret, Egret etc.), flamingos (flamingos), cormorants, etc., various duck species such as ferruginous duck, which is the largest population in Greece. In addition to wetlands live an aquatic mammal, or otter, a species threatened with extinction.
Amvrakikos also appear many Dolphins, the monk seal monachis monk, the turtle caretta caretta etc.. Information : Amvrakikos Wetlands Management Agency, https://www.amvrakikos.eu
The Koronisia belongs to municipality of Arta and is from about Arta 23 km. Access from Arta It is the village Kostakioi and from District Road Assam-Koronisia (Salaora). From the Salaora, along a road that passes between lagoons (6,5 km), arrive in Koronisia. OR Undersea Tunnel Aktion -Prevezas, joining 2 Tips Amvrakikos, It allows you to reach very easily in this region.
- Arta Municipality, Skoufa 96, Arta, tel. : 26813 62100, 26813 62101, www.arta.gr
- Coast Arta Fund, tel. : 26813 62204
- Arta Urban Bus, for destinations within the Prefecture, daily 2 executed 2 Arta -Koronisia routes, except ML, tel. : 26810 28314
- Intercity bus Arta, Pl. Krystalli Arta, Athens daily departures -Arta and vice versa, tel. Assam : 26810 27348, 26810 27357, tel. Athens: 210 5133139, ktelartas.gr
- Taxi Assam, tel. : 26810 78333, 26810 78332
- Fishing Cooperative Koronisia-Kalogeriko Arta, tel. : 26810 24005